Sunday, August 12, 2012

9-11 Memorial

So the first thing on my adgenda was to go to the 9-11 memorial site.  I knew it would be very emotional for me because, well, if you know anything about me at all you know I can cry on command or if anything comes to my mind at any time, anywhere...  When you go over into the city you actually have to get a ticket to go over to the site.  It is free but you have a specific time to go over because there is so many people that want to visit it.  So they have you get your free ticket and then about 2 blocks away is the temporary entrance.  You of course have to go thru check points and are screened.  Then after all of the lines and not being able to see anything (other than UP) because of the panels they have up for the construction workers that are working on the Freedom Towers.  It opens up to a park that has beautiful trees and grass and a short concrete wall that is perfectly square.  There are 2 perfectly identical squares in the ground.  As you walk up to them you realize there is water that is spilling over the sides, all 4 sides.  then as you get closer you see names that are cut out in the concrete/mable sides of the people that died in that particular tower.  WTC1 and WTC2.  As you look over the side and see the bottom of the square there is another smaller square in the bottom where the water is going from the sides and then as the bottom fills with water then it spills over again into the bottom square.  This is the infinity pools.  That's when I started crying.  To think about all that has lost their lives there, all the families that have had to figure out a way to say, "Good-bye" to no one they can touch or see.  It completely stoppes me in my tracks.  I have lost, my brother and my sister, but I was able to at least have a body, a casket something tangable to hold and to cry over.  So many children could never have that final good-bye.  To anyone who knew someone that died there, my heart goes out to you and your entire family.  To say that it is hard on a parent, a spouse is true but to think that they are the only ones that hurt is crazy.  Nieces, nephews, siblings, church members, grandchildren that have part of their own history taken from them.  For all that have lost, even if you are a 47 year old woman who just watched it on TV and is now standing on hollowed ground, a woman who never met a one of them.  A woman who never spoke a word or shook hands with anyone that died that day...   I will get my chance.  I will meet these people.  I will hug their necks, and I will be able to speak to them, but I won't say... Good-bye... I will say..."HELLO!!!!"











No comments:

Post a Comment